Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Glue Ups and Drawers and Hinges oh my!

After some fuss, I finally got the look that I was going after.
Shot of where I am.



The dust frame I knocked out of some red oak, and I just used pocket screws to tie everything together. I didn't glue anything together, because I want the freedom to work on it in the future if I need to.
My original design was to have the two drawers be independent of each other, but after some "thought experiments" aka daydreaming, I concluded that if one drawer was going to be open, more than likely the other one would be open too. Hence, the design changed to one sliding drawer that accepts two drawer fronts.
Another shot of the drawer back.



After thinking about it for a few hours, a mock up or two, and talking to some friends about what to do, this is what I came up with. I made a dust frame that sits in the groove and will slide back and forth. To lift the drawer, I'm using some European hinges from some cabinets that never got their doors. The hinges aren't strong enough to hold the drawer up by themselves, so I'll have to add a dowel to the side to help with that. I'll also need to put a stop of some kind on the bottom because these hinges close past 90 degrees.
The beauty of these hinges is that you can dial in the doors, or in my case drawers, in all three directions.
My solution.



With a 1/4" stacked dado, I cut the dado in the boards. It took three passes.
Slides completed.



I knew that I was going to need something for the drawers to slide in, but I still wasn't sure how it was going to work. What I had designed was just too complicated, and didn't offer any adjustment whatsoever.
Stock for the slide.



I need to cut a notch in the corners of the shelf to fit around the legs. I went old school on this. I used my dovetail saw to cut the wood against the grain, and a chisel on the other side and chop the piece out.
Layout of the notch.



Now comes the beginning part that is going to slow me down. I not sure how to attach the shelf. I know that I don't want to cut into the sides, and the panel being solid wood will need to float. the solution was a cleat that will be screwed into the sides, and the rails. I don't think that there will be a need for glue here. This picture just shows the rail being held in place with carpet tape.
Shelf support.



Same drill as with other panels. Joint one edge, rip opposite end, joint ripped edge, biscuit, glue.
Board glued up, scraped, and sanded smooth.



With the piece now completely assembled, it's time to turn our attention to the shelf that the electronics will sit on. This is the board for that shelf. 4/4 flat sawn white oak. Lots of sapwood, but you will never see it.
Board for the shelf.



With the ends glued up and dried, it's time to glue up the lower shelf and rails. In a true example of playing checkers instead of chess, (or a poor game of chess) I didn't sand the bottom shelf or rails because I knew that I would have a joint to sand at the center stile, so I didn't. It's not that big of a deal, just a little more work in the future.
Glue Up

No comments:

Post a Comment