Saturday, April 11, 2009

Leg workup part 1

Oops!!! I must have taken them out of the clamps a little soon, because the glue released. Thankfully, I was able to pull it all off, and scrap it clean. I'll glue it back again and leave it in the clamps longer this time.




With the pieces machined, it's time to glue them to the blank. I'm clamping them to the bench and using a board as a caul to help distribute the pressure.
You can never have too many clamps.



I was shooting for 1/8", and as you can see, I'm still a little strong. It's not a critical dimension, just one that I was shooting for. I still have sanding to do, so I'm sure it will be close to that.
Checking the piece for thickness.



When I did my test piece, I ran it through the planer and tried to thin it down to 1/8" on the bed, but I had a blowout. The solution to this is to attach it to a backer block, and run through on that. I'm using carpet tape to a piece of 5/4 stock I have lying around.
Boards thinned down to thickness.



The boards have been split in half, giving me a bookmatch. I'm not going to worry about bookmatching on this project. My crappy bandsaw does a surprisingly good job of resawing, but it is thick, and it's a rough finish.
Boards ready for planing.



Next, it's over to the bandsaw, where I have a fence attached. I'm using a dowel as my fence, so I don't have to worry about blade drift.
Getting ready for resawing.



Now that the top is glued up, I am going to start working on the legs. The problem with quarter sawn white oak, is that you only get it on 2 sides. The other 2 sides are flat sawn. There are many ways to get quarter sawn on all 4 sides. I am taking 8/4 stock and gluing strips on the flat sawn sides. My first step is taking some ripped down pieces of 4/4 stock, and marking a centerline.
Board marked and ready for resawing.

No comments:

Post a Comment