Monday, April 20, 2009

Spindle work

Here is a shot of my progress fitting the spindles. It's pretty slow going, but it's nice and quiet working with a chisel. I'm not sure why it seems like I'm a sponsor for titebond, there's a picture of it everywhere. The strange part is I haven't glued anything up yet.
Fitting the spindles to the sides.




To make the spindles, I took my pieces, and jointed 1 edge, then went to the surface planer and thinned them down to 1/2". Then it off to the tablesaw, where I ripped them to 3/4" I cut the tenons strong, and fit them using a chisel.
Spindles with mortises cut.



Since I had the rails complete, I put it together to get a sense of size for the piece. I have a strange phenomenon of projects growning when then get into the house. They look small when I'm working on them, but then get larger when I get them into the house. This piece is still looking good. Since this picture, I did add a center stile to both the front and rear rails.
First dry fit showing overall size.



Now that the ends are pretty much complete, it's time to start work on the spindles. At the time I wanted to start them, I didn't have enough scrap material for them, so I did make the front and rear rails, and cut the tenons in the legs for them. That gave me the stock I needed for the spindles. You may notice another mistake in this picture. When I was laying out the mortise for the top rails, I couldn't help but notice how close I was going to be from coming out the top, so I decided just to run the mortise out the top to prevent a serious blowout. It never occurred to me until I cut the front and rear rails to honch the tenon. I'm thinking I'll fix that by pegging the rails, but I've got some time to ponder this.
Fitting the top rail.



Fitting the front and rear mid rail.

No comments:

Post a Comment